Friday 29 November 2013

Sugar Scrub

One of my favourite stores at the moment is Lush.  I love their products because they feel so organic and homemade and smell like a lolly shop.  I love the little stickers of the creator and of course I stick by the use-by date just as if they were made from fresh ingredients from the fridge.  I don't think I'll put Lush out of business, but I tried some recipes from Pinterest to see what I could make at home.



This Week's Pin:  Project Handmade Christmas Presents - Sugar Scrubs
Who's This For:  Me and my dry heels
Price:  Cheap!

There were two recipes on this website and I liked the vanilla brown sugar scrub to use on my tired, dry feet.

The original recipe is:

Vanilla Brown Sugar Scrub

Ingredients:
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup-3/4 cups olive oil
1-2 tsp of vanilla

I made a small batch to try and simply combined 1/4 of each measurement.  I used brown sugar and the coarse Low GI Cane Sugar I had in the cupboard.  I replaced the olive oil with coconut oil and mashed it with a fork in the bowl.  Only a drop of vanilla was needed after it was blended and let me tell you, it does smell good.



Using the solidified coconut oil will give you a different result to the scrubs with the oil base.  When using a traditional oil, the sugars are suspended in liquid and occasionally you need to give them a stir to combine them and you need to watch out for the oily drips.  However, my mixture gives a drier result which is really easy to manage.


It was really simple to pack it into some washed tubs I had and test them out.  


You simply grab a pinch and rub on your skin.  The coconut oil melts with your body heat and the scrub does its little buffing thing and ta-dah, smooth, soft skin.

A word of warning though, I gave a little tub to my friend Amanda and she was concerned that it smelt so good, she'd eat the whole tub!  This is preferably not for eating, just for buffing, ok?  Enjoy...

Soops

"Strength is the capacity to break a Hershey bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces."
   Judith Viorst (Love & Guilt & The Meaning Of Life, Etc)

No comments :

Post a Comment