Friday 1 November 2013

Gummy Bear Biscuits

When I was young, my Mother often made jam drops.  I can't recall the last time I made them myself, but then I saw these interesting little gems.


This Week's Pin:  Gummy Bear Biscuits
Who's This For:  My Kids
Price:  $6.00 for 36 biscuits

I've seen recipes for biscuits where hard boiled lollies are melted on top.  The lollies give a sweet crispness to the top.  These gummy bears will give an unusual texture and I'm sure the kids will expect that these are jam drops - won't they be surprised?

Ingredients are simple:

1 cup unsalted butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 egg yolks (I used 1 whole egg instead)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 dozen gummy bears, plus extras for mindless eating while preparing




There's nothing new or difficult about this biscuit process.  I'm sure you've done this dozens of times before.  

Cream together butter and brown sugar. Add egg yolks, one at a time.  Stir in vanilla extra.
Mix in flour and salt, stirring until combined.  Wait a moment, all-purpose flour is not self-raising flour!  I need to use plain flour (this is what we call all-purpose flour in Australia).  Oops, I nearly made cake!

So, add the flour and don't overmix.

Cover the mixture and place in the freezer for ten minutes.  Preheat oven and line the baking trays with baking paper.  Sample gummy bears.


Scoop tablespoons of mixture and roll into balls.  Leave a couple of centimetres between the biscuits on the tray.  Press your thumb into the centre of the balls and place in the oven.


Notice I didn't add the gummy bears yet?  They'll only take a minute to melt so cook the biscuits for 8-10 minutes until they look pretty much done.  Remove the tray from the oven and place a gummy bear in the indentation.  Return the trays to the oven and cook for a further 2 minutes.

Don't walk away at this stage, or make a cup of tea, or answer the phone, because those lollies will be melted in the blink of an eye.

Let the biscuits cool and enjoy.

They're a chewy, buttery biscuit and yes, the gummy topping is not what you expect but the intensity of the fruit flavour is increased so they each have a different flavour - apple, orange, raspberry - yum.

I'm not completely in love with these biscuits.  The crumbly shortbread biscuit does exactly that - crumbles, when you are stretching the chewy gummy blobs.  But we liked them enough to polish them off in a couple of days.  I've got a tried and true biscuit recipe that I might add a different topping to next time.  Some of those great boiled sweets I have in the cupboard, yep.

Soops


"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring."
  Marilyn Monroe

No comments :

Post a Comment