Friday 6 September 2013

Edible Glitter! Which version is better?


Wow, that edible glitter looks amazing!  I'm going to try that.


This Week's Pin:  Edible Glitter
Who's This For:  Me to use on any food that needs some sparkle
Price:  Bag of sugar

I saw this Pin and followed the link to planetpals.com.  I found edible glitter and clicked on the link http://www.planetpals.com/craft-non-toxic-craft-supply-recipes.html#glitter.  The recipe states 1/4 cup of salt (or granulated sugar).  Wait a minute, 1/4 cup of salt doesn't make it edible!  Can't say I'll be decorating my cake with the salt version.  Yes, it's non-toxic but I'll make the sugar version today thanks.


These are ingredients you'll find easily in your pantry, so this is something anyone can try at home.


I added 8 drops of liquid food colouring to 1/2 cup of caster sugar.  I didn't have granulated sugar on hand today.  I blended the colour in with the back of the spoon.


I spread it on a pan and baked for 10 minutes at 160 degrees celcius.


I also tried a coarser grain and used Low GI Cane Sugar.  This has the same texture as regular granulated sugar.  I added 4 drops to 1/4 cup of sugar and blended with the back of the spoon again.


When I took out the caster sugar, it had melted in one corner.  So I turned down the temperature to 150 and baked the Low GI sugar for 10 minutes.



When cooled, the caster sugar had lumps so I mashed again with the back of the spoon.

Low GI sugar before, above and after, below.


I noticed a better result with the coarser grains and I was hoping for a sparkling gold effect.  In comparison, obviously the finer texture of the caster sugar means it will melt faster.  The side-effect of the melted blue caster sugar was delicious, bright blue toffee shards - I could use this somehow some other time.
  

So, looking at the bags of sugars the baked version is on the left and the original sugar on the right.  The colour did clump a little in the baked version and gave little blue spots, but blended nicely in the original non-baked sample. Notice any 'glitter' yet?  Nope, me either.


I iced a vanilla cake and sprinkled the icing with three 'glitters' for comparison.  Left hand side is the baked 'glitter', top is the 'glitter' before it's baked and the right hand is a product that my mother sprinkled onto cupcakes when I was a little girl - Aeroplane Jelly Crystals.
Sorry, but I can't find any 'glitter' happening.  This is simply coloured sugar.  Which is great to use as it is, no baking, no fuss. In my opinion, a packet of Jelly Crystals at $1.09 a packet will sprinkle so easily onto anything and give a little sparkle but adds an extra element of taste.  Blue sugar tastes like sugar.

I'm not sure the image Pinned above is really edible glitter made from sugar.  This is a snapshot of the website image as it appears on the page.  If you've tried this with salt and got a better result, I'd love to hear about it.

Jelly Crystals will be used, as always, at my house.

Soops
"I have not failed.  I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."   Thomas A. Edison 


No comments :

Post a Comment