Saturday 24 August 2013

Brownie Sandwiches - yummy, well not so much.

Caramel recipes are abundant on Pinterest.  I Pin a lot of recipes with salted caramel.  The cheesecakes topped with caramel look divine and the flourless chocolate cake with salted caramel sauce is screaming at me to try it soon!  The brownie sandwiches combined two things that are my son's favourites; brownies and caramel.  So, I tried it.


This Week's Pin:  Brownie Sandwiches with Salted Caramel
Who's This For?:  My son


I gathered all the necessary ingredients and discovered that the recipe (here) needed dark chocolate.  I had milk chocolate on hand so I substituted it.


The melted butter and chocolate became grainy, oh no.  I thought it should still work as the chocolate mixture would blend into the brownie.  Keep going, it'll be ok in the end.


I whipped the eggs, brown sugar and vanilla until they were really creamy.


At this point, I was a little confused.  The recipe stated, 1/2 cup plus 2 T all purpose flour.  What on earth is a 'T'?  Earlier, I melted 3 T of salted butter with the chocolate.  Without even thinking, I assumed this was tablespoons and merrily continued.  It was only when I reached the point where I needed to add the flour, that I became a little unsure about the quantities.  

Making biscuits that only have such a small proportion of flour is unusual.  Trying not to get discouraged, I continued.  As Mr Wonka says, "Onwards and upwards."

I added the chocolate mixture and rested the mixture for 10 minutes.  The mixture really resembles macarons not brownies.  When I put spoonfuls on the tray, they were not as dark as I had hoped, but slid them into the oven anyway.


While they baked, I made caramel filling from the recipe here.


The biscuits were filled with caramel filling and sandwiched together.


Yes, they were chewy but were they brownie biscuits?  No, not really.  They were very much like very thin macarons, and not great ones.  They had no bulk, no biscuity-ness (yes, that's a real word look it up) and were severely sweet.  I have a sweet tooth and like so many types of biscuits, cakes and desserts but sorry these were disappointing.  The chocolate flavour came through but not like a brownie hits you with soft, rich chocolatey-ness (yes again, look it up).

If you'd like to drool over sweet things take a look at http://www.sugarhero.com/ where you'll find extreme amounts of sugary goodness and Fry-day she'll deep fry things like cheesecake!

With so much potential but alas, something about this week's recipe was not right.  Never mind, there'll be a new Pin to try next week.

Soops
'I don't believe in failure.  It is not failure if you enjoyed the process.' 
Oprah Winfrey



No comments :

Post a Comment