Friday 14 June 2013

Yummy Lip Stuff

My daughter and I are making some lip products for her friends to try.  The first recipe we used was for lip balm.




This Week's Pin:  Lip Balm
Who's This For?:  My daughter and a few special girlfriends
Price: So very hard to calculate, but I'll guess -
Beeswax 20 cents; Rice Bran Oil 5 cents; Shea Butter 35 cents;
Coconut Oil 80 cents
Roughly estimated grand total $1.40 for 6!!
The little tubs were $2.80 a pair (from Daiso) but I know I can find cheaper ones next time.




In a plastic take away container we placed 2 tablespoons of bees wax.  Now, the recipe (from http://kojo-designs.com/2011/05/color-my-summer-pink-swap-and-a-lip-gloss-tutorial/) stated that it should be grated but after a while I got fed up and cut it into small chunks.  Then we added 1 tablespoon of Coconut Oil and 2 teaspoons of Rice Bran Oil (the recipe asked for almond oil but I had this Rice Bran Oil handy) and 1/2 teaspoon of Shea Butter (with Vitamin E).  I added 1/2 teaspoon of caster sugar for a little sweetness and I did not add any colour or lipstick to the recipe because I wanted the girls to have just a plain lip balm that they could try immediately at school and not get detention for wearing lipstick!


After 10 minutes of stirring with a bamboo skewer the little chunky bits of bees wax were still not melted.  Ugh, I should have grated it after all.  So I topped it up with freshly heated water and kept stirring.  Another 10 minutes later we decided to give up and pour it in the containers (or, in my daughter's words, "Chuck it in").  Yes, there were still waxy lumps but we wanted to get to the finished product and try it out.  I added 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract for flavour and poured into jars.  Next time will put more vanilla as the Coconut Oil smothers the vanilla flavour with coconut.


My son created little labels for us to stick on the jars.  Really cute.  We then wrote a quick questionnaire for the girls to fill in.  I'll compile the responses and provide the feedback later.


We had spare time left in the kitchen.  What else will we make?  Lip scrub!  The Pin showed each ingredient in equal measures, but I changed that.  Don't know why, just did.



Jacqui put the following into a plastic tub:  1 tablespoon of brown sugar; 1/2 teaspoon of Rice Bran Oil and 1/4 teaspoon of honey.  She mixed it with a spoon and added a tiny dash of vanilla.  Into the little jars!  So, you grab a little clump of this mixture and rub on your lips.  It softens and then melts while buffing away dead skin.  Then, you can just lick it off!


Yum, yum, yum!  Everything smells lovely, feels great and was so simple.  Yes, except for that melting wax bit, need to melt wax first then add other ingredients next time.

The only problem we have is that we don't have enough jars for every girl in Year 8! Nonetheless, they're bagged up and ready to go to school for a few special friends to try.


And the comments are back:

Alaina said about the lip balm, "Why's it all lumpy?"
Sorry Alaina, we didn't melt the wax enough before we started.  We will do better next time.  Rub the lip balm to melt it a little before you apply.  Still works like a charm.

Tess said, also about the lip balm "Smells good".
The coconut oil and the vanilla go well together, don't they?

Anusha said about the lip scrub "Tastes like sugar".
Yep, simple ingredients, all natural and taste yummy.  When the jar's empty, clean it properly and make some yourself.

These fresh products need to be used within 3 months.

Thanks for your help Jacqui.  Next week, well I don't know what I'm making next week but when I've decided you'll know.

Soops


“You can’t use up creativity. The more you use, the more you have.” — Maya Angelou


No comments :

Post a Comment